Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Good 'Ol Days






Sometimes we get older...well, all the time we get older, but sometimes we forget the things that make us truly happy. Know what I mean?

I have been a Polynesian dancer since I was 5yrs old. My grandma (as seen in the picture) was born and raised in Hawaii. She made costumes for the largest dance troupe in this area, Lehuanani. They used to practice in my great grandma's backyard because it was the only yard large enough to fit them. I guess I was just born into it.

Not being the most patient and graceful dancer...well, person...I felt most comfortable Tahitian dancing. I joined my first halau (dance troupe) in 1994. We were a new group to the area, Te Poe O Patitifa, or Pearl of the Pacific. There were 14 of us including drummers. Our Kumu, or instructor, was a former dancer, Ioani Burns, or Uncle Joel. He was a retired dancer that was a judge at the largest competitions here in the States and in Tahiti. He was my second dad.

I competed with the group and we were booked for 3-5 shows every weekend. Hot, cold, raining...it didn't matter. We were a hot party item. Everyone knew who we were and wanted to be with us. In 1998, we competed in San Jose, CA with over 100 dancers and about 15 drummers. We got to travel to Tahiti in 1999 as ambassadors to learn from Le Grande Ballet and O Tahiti E...two of the most prestigious halaus. It was awesome!

However, when we returned, the halau changed. It started to take form of a business. The fun was gone and it was now all about the money. I retired for the first time. I returned in 2001, but left shortly after. It just wasn't the same. Maybe because I wasn't the same. Maybe because my sisters had grown up, gone off to college and another generation was there....I don't know...but it was different. Uncle Joel had moved back to Tahiti and a new instructor had taken over...literally.

I started my own troupe, Haviti Tiare, in 2004 after Sunshine was born. I decided to teach 5 year olds and under students. We practiced in the backyard in the summer and in the garage in the winter. It was really fun.

I went back to Te Poe O Patitifa in 2006 and competed one last time...with Kaila. I was so proud. I wasn't going to dance. I was going to pass the thrill to her. It was her time. She asked me to compete with her. So, 7 of the original dancers including me, got back out there and took some trophies home!! Uncle Joel was there. I dedicated my solo to him. He walked out half way through it. When I asked him why, he said, "Melani, I already know how you dance. I am very proud." I think it hurt him to see the 7 of us again. We were like his children. (And, no, I didn't spell my name wrong. That's how he insisted on saying it! Accent on the "a".)

I miss it. I miss the family spirit. I miss practice. I miss the thrill. One day, I will return...again. =)

Mel =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics and what a lovely story. TFS
Cheri
p.s. Mel-have you ever considered removing the word verification on your blog comments?

Debby said...

That is such a fabulous story. Gave me chills seriously. Lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing this.