The countdown begins...Thursday, March 17, 2010...2pm...doors open to one of the biggest Tahitian competitions in the world! I just celebrated my 30th birthday (which in Tahitian Dancing world is REALLY old). I decided I better compete now before I'm too old and the hips and knees don't want to do what I tell them to do. It's on my bucket list!
I haven't made my costume yet. The preliminary round is danced in a More ("grass") skirt. I did finish that! I haven't danced in grass in about 12 years so when I went into the garage and unrolled my neatly stored More, I found that it had yellowed and looked incredibly ugly!! So I took one out of my store and dyed it. I've never danced in a colored More before...always natural. So I picked RED! It's my favorite color and, with the help of Kaila (my daughter), decided red is fabulous! =) I made a headpiece, but...well, I'm not sure how I'm going to get it to Hawaii in one piece with the niau sticking out all over. Back to the drawing board.
Finals are danced in a printed pareu (wrap). I have two I'm deciding on...one is black and tan with tangerine orange tiare flowers. The other is yellow and brown with white Tiare flowers. I was going to use the same headpiece, but red doesn't match with either of these colors. So...looks like I'll be creating from now til Wednesday!!
I did finish two headpieces for a lady down south yesterday. I have one more pageant order to do and then I'm free to work on my own!
Friday, March 12, 2010
One week notice, no costumes and a dance troupe that wasn't supposed to perform until July! Well, what do you do? YOU SAY, "YES!"
Accomplishments this month so far...
1. I learned how to use a serger!
2. I learned to sew on a zipper...thanks to YouTube! Here's the link I used... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05J2KyqpvRE ...Karen is AWESOME! =)
3. Finished 4 White Sandy Beach dresses.
4. Finished 2 keiki Otea costumes.
5. Finished 15 sets of Tane legpieces and 15 neckpieces.
6. Finished Brandee's Otea costume.
7. Finished 3 Over the Rainbow costumes.
8. Danced/Instructed ... lost track of hours.
9. Finished my Solo headpiece.
Whew...I have an AMAZING life!! =)
Next stop...March 17th... Heiva i Honolulu 2010!