Okay, I know you all have been wondering how to do this!! So here it is!
1. Pick a coconut! You can normally buy these from the grocery store. Make sure it's big (or small) enough to cover your, well, body parts, once it's cut in half!
2. Lay the coconut on it's side. Measure and dot the points in the middle all the way around it. Draw a line to connect the dots. This will be the line you cut it in half with. (Don't cut it yet!)
3. At the top of the coconut, you will find a small knot where the branch was once stuck. You will want to drill 2 small holes on each side of the line you drew, about 1/2" from the middle on both sides.
4. Drain your coconut into a jar or something so you can use it later for dessert!! Yum!
5. On the opposite side (the bottom) of the coconut, drill the same size holes, both about 1.2" from the line.
6. Deside which side on the coconut looks better and use that as the top. Drill 2 more holes for your neck strap, again 1/2" on both sides of the line you drew.
7. I use an electic saw to cut my coconut in half. BE CAREFUL!! Slipping coconuts can cause accidents. DO NOT CUT YOUR HAND/FINGERS/TOES OFF! (I stick my coconut in between 4 wood boards.)
8. Using a large metal spoon, scrape out the coconut meat. (Put asside for later eating!)
9. I use a power sander to smooth the outer coconut. You can do it by hand with regular sand paper, but it takes longer.
10. Attach your strings. I use leather cord because it doesn't come untied easily and you don't want those things fallin' out while your performing!! Also, leather doesn't break like some other strings. Knot the leather cord on one side, feed it through the drilled hole and knot it on the opposite side.
11. Make sure to seal any cracks so the splitting won't continue. Natural cracks are normal...it's a coconut!
I have these available for sale on www.etsy.com search sellers: hulamelani or just email me!